Thursday, January 29, 2009

I love San Antonio!

Yeah you heard me!  I said it!  I love San Antonio!!  Well - I shouldn't go so far as to use the L-word...especially since living in San Antonio keeps us so far from family, but now I definitely appreciate all there is to do in San Antonio (more than I did previously).  I know I'm always complaining about how much I loathe and despise San Antonio, but now that we've been staying in Corpus Christi, TX these past 3 weeks - I've come to appreciate all that San Antonio has to offer!!  We've been staying in Corpus Christi with Jason while he does another out-of-town rotation at a children's hospital down here.  We're staying on the naval base in billeting, so it's familiar and safe (all bases have a semi-consistent atmosphere and environment no matter what their size), but man! There isn't a whole lot to do off base (or on base for that matter)!! I keep wondering what the heck lures anyone to live here permanently!!  Jason has been wondering the same thing.  He continues to ask different people at work what they do for fun around here and the response has been pretty much the same..."Oh - either stay at home...or go fishing."  Ugh!  That's it??!!  I'm sure fishing is a lot of fun - we've been wanting to try it out for quite some time now, but....fishing all of the time and nothing but??!!  Yikes!  I'm sure we'd be enjoying some good ol' fashioned laziness at the beach - if it wasn't so cold and windy!  Spring and Summer is probably a much better time of year to enjoy the Texas coast, so I shouldn't give Corpus Christi a thumbs down for all seasons.  I just know - I would NOT want to live here! Ever!!  The area seems a bit run down and business doesn't seem to be booming.  The Target and Walmart here are dirty and uninviting.  There's one mall to choose from and it's far from anything spectacular.  There's a couple of theaters - neither of them are Regal, so we can't even go to any free movies (courtesy of my theater manager Dadroo of course)!  The only thing we have enjoyed doing - since there isn't anything else to do - is going to Barnes and Noble for hours at a time and reading to our hearts content and going to Rudy's (a much-loved BBQ chain in Texas that just happens to be attached to a gas station).  I don't know if the gas is any good, but the food sure is!!!  We have a Rudy's in San Antonio, but we've never gone (mostly because we thought it was weird that it was attached to a gas station).  Neither of us have ever cared too much for BBQ-d food (like brisket or ribs), but now we love it!!  We've gone a few times for dinner in the last couple weeks (Hey - I don't have a real kitchen to cook in!  It's not my fault!). It's so yummy!!  Jason isn't much of a meat-eater (unless it's chicken), but now he's obsessed with lean brisket (okay - so am I)!  Mmmm...I know where we're going for Superbowl Sunday this weekend!!  ;)
I forgot to mention that we have also seen the "pride and joy" of Corpus Christi - the USS Lexington (a WWII aircraft carrier that was just retired in 1991 or so).  That was actually very interesting, but I must say - it might be the only interesting thing here.  Which is probably why it's called the "pride and joy" of Corpus Christi.  Oh well...at least this city is proud of it's American military heritage!!  :)
I shouldn't say we haven't done anything.  We have had a couple of picnics, played a round of mini-golf (although we did have to drive a ways to get to it) and we've enjoyed more family time with one another (since there is less to do and less distractions), so I guess it has been a pretty good experience!
Okay, so instead of rambling any longer - I'll get started on the pictures.  That's what you come here for right?  It can't be for my elaborate writings...although they can be intoxicating.  I know...  ;)  This will be my only post for Corpus Christi - we'll be leaving a week from now and I can't imagine too much more excitement going on here...that is...unless I have the baby early!  ;)

Kristin finishes her newest 150-piece puzzle

The girls being silly at the Navy Exchange

The girls showing off their new jammies

Jason and Kristin at one of the many docks along the coast

Me and the girls

Kristin and Katie feeding/chasing the seagulls after our picnic at a park by the water

They had a lot of fun...a little too much...  ;)

Kristin and Katie playing on the playground

Me pushing both the girls back to back in a bucket swing.  I highly recommend this if you're the only swing-pusher available (or if there aren't enough swings to go around)!  ;)

Finally!  The kid next to us got off!  Now they get their own swings!  Time for Daddy to push them!!

Me and the girls getting ready to play mini-golf

Jason announcing our first ever mini-golf competition  ;)

Katie testing out her golf swing

Kristin was actually pretty good...

Jason very serious about teaching Kristin the correct way to approach the next hole  ;)

I just thought I'd jump in and mention that Jason and I tied for 1st place with a score of 42, Kristin came in 2nd place with a 50 and Katie was disqualified...after she tossed her plastic putter and golf ball into a fountain/lake on the 13th hole.  ;)

The girls enjoying a giant rocking horse ride at Chuck E Cheese

They were most pleased with the virtual roller coaster ride

Katie doesn't look so sure about this one...

Ah yes - it's much better when Kristin comes along for the ride!

Every night after bath-time, Jason or I read a couple of stories from their Bible.  The girls LOVE it!!  They look forward to it every night.  Katie always rambles on and on afterwards for a few minutes pretending to read it for herself before we put her to bed.  She's so cute!!

Every couple of days or so, Jason takes Kristin over to the pull up bars by the commissary on base.  First he helps her try and do her own pull ups...and then he has her hang on to his legs to make his pull ups a little more challenging.  What a nerd!!!  As if pull ups weren't hard enough all on their own!!!!  ;)  I'm always surprised that Jason has a brilliant brain to go along with his seemingly meat-hook mentality and appearance.  ;)  Hahahaha!!

Me and the girls about to board the pride and joy of Corpus Chrisit - the USS Lexington

The girls are ready to climb aboard the aircraft carrier!  Aren't they so cute and cheesy?!

All of us in some sort of Navy Seals delivery pod...or something like that...

Jason in the brig (where can I get one of these for the house?)  ;)


Making our way to the bridge

Me and Kristin overlooking the flight deck (on our way to the bridge)

Jason pretending to be the Captain of the aircraft carrier...

Captain Capra going for a snooty, yet dignified look  ;)

Kristin at the controls of the bridge

Kristin running to the end of the flight deck (this is where they filmed the Doolittle Raid for the movie Pearl Harbor).

Kristin manning one of the ship-to-air guns (or whatever they're called)  :)

The girls seem to enjoy all of this exercise!

I think Jason thoroughly enjoyed racing me up an down all these steep staircases!  I know he's trying to get me to go into labor early!  He can't fool me!!!  ;)

Katie is not happy about being put in the brig

Kristin - on the other hand - appears to be enjoying herself

Low-ranking officers quarters

Jason testing out one of the beds.  They're not very long are they?  Jason isn't the tallest guy in the world, so I can't imagine guys much taller fitting in these (comfortable anyways)!

The girls want to test it out too!

Kristin testing out one of the beds (these were the beds used on the Japanese aircraft carrier in the making of Pearl Harbor)

Just one of the many steep sets of stairs we had to maneuver to get around the aircraft carrier

Jason in the engine room pretending to work (I don't know how anyone can stand working down there!  It's like a dungeon!  I felt so claustrophobic!!)

Jason and the girls at the end of our tour

So that's it for now.  One of these days (hopefully before February 1st) I plan on posting a few of my New Year's resolutions.  Knowing me - that won't happen for another couple months, but I will try (only because I know you are all DYING to know my wants and hopes for the rest of this year)!!  ;)

1 comment:

Laura said...

I knew you did! Haha =) There really is so much to do there.

Mmm-hmmm, bbq!

You guys obviously brought the video games, I can tell by the look on Jas' face in the pj picture, haha =)

Whoa...playing on the playground with no jackets and green grass, I miss that.

Hailey's favorite is the rollercoaster ride! She was just telling some little girl about it today =)