Tuesday, January 22, 2008

To Condemn or Not To Condemn...

Well, it has finally happened. My worst fear (as far as blogging goes) has been realized. That's right folks...I have nothing to write about. For the past couple of weeks, we haven't done anything special or out of the ordinary. We haven't had any new adventures to write about and there isn't even any interesting gossip to spread. Tish tisk. What's a poor little Tricia to do?! I guess that only leaves me with one option...to write about something that has been plaguing my tired brain as of late! I know you're beside yourself with pure excitement, but get a hold of yourself! All will be revealed in due time! ;)



So we are undergoing the annoying process of being told (by the base housing office) that our house along with a few others in the neighborhood are going to be condemned and later demolished. Oh - if any of you weren't aware, our housing is almost 50 years old. That's right people - we live in a decrepit old house that is falling apart.

I don't know about any of you, but when I was growing up (the daughter of a hardworking Enlisted Airman), Officer housing was ALWAYS nicer than Enlisted housing. But when Jason first enlisted in the military (at the wee age of 18), we had a brand new cootie-free base house and now...almost 11 years (8 years of school) later...we're living in something so old that it may be hazardous to our health! Eek! Anyways - they're trying to decide what houses need to be condemned and what houses can just be renovated enough to last 3-5 more years. Our house is on the questionable list of houses they might want to condemn. Yay.



We find out the verdict tomorrow morning. We'll either be asked to move into another base house (a renovated house in the same neighborhood) or we can pay to move ourselves off base. The only problem with moving off base is that we can't afford to buy a house, so our only other option is renting. So far, the only houses we can afford to rent are located in questionable neighborhoods (the kind where you have to run really fast from your car to your front door). That only leaves apartment communities. I'd really rather not go back to apartment living - it just doesn't seem very family-friendly. Although I've been slightly tempted to move into this new apartment community up in Northern San Antonio. They're brand new with attached garages, granite countertops in the kitchen and bathrooms, tile in the entryway, kitchen and bathrooms, a wood-burning fireplace etc. It's located smack dab in the middle of our favorite part of town. It's where we're always going when Jason has time off, it's where our church is, it's where we go shopping and out to eat, it's down the road from an amazing gym and it's also really close to the dance studio where Jason and I are going to start taking lessons (which has a daycare next door for us to leave the kids at during our lessons-yay!) and it's also close to the ballet academy where we're going to enroll Kristin in a week. But I have to keep reminding myself that it's an apartment and once we move off base, there's no going back! I'm afraid of making the wrong decision (moving into an apartment) and regretting it later. There may not be many (if any) things I like about our old base house, but dang blast it...it's safe behind miles and miles of barbed wire!!

I don't know what to do! Jason's only requirement is that we live somewhere safe, but he's leaving the final decision up to me (since I'm the one who's home most of the day). What the heck should we do!!!!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Oh Tricia...I am so so so so so sorry! I know I was supposed to write you back about this and I didn't =( I am so SORRY! I have been trying hard to read our book for bookclub, Sahara, that is 568 pages long and man is it hard to read that much when the 2 little munchkins bug me all day long ;)