Saturday, November 3, 2007

Last weekend, Halleluiah Night and Starbucks

So we didn't really do too much last weekend. We drove out to a different part of San Antonio that we hadn't been to before. We were looking for a place (that I thought was going to be some sort of vineyard) called Water 2 Wine. Well, it was slightly disappointing. It ended up not being a vineyard at all. They did make wine though. It was a little place located in a rundown old strip mall. They made wine in big plastic barrels. How's that for classy and refined? The owner who helped us was really nice. We tasted several of their best-tasting wines, but they all paled in comparison to the wine we tasted at the Sister Creek Vineyards the week before. We ended up buying a bottle of their most popular-selling wine (just to be nice), but it still wasn't anywhere near as good as my favorite wine from Sister Creek!

That night we went to the bowling alley for our weekly bowling competition. And no competition would be complete without beer and hotwings! Mmm hmm... ; ) We played two games and - surprise surprise - I only got a 102 and a 104. Why am I so bad at bowling??!! It's so frustrating to never get any better! What the heck??!! I'd really like to take bowling lessons!! Of course, Jason got his usual average of 160. It just isn't fair I tell you!! But he has an unfair advantage. My Dad taught him the mysterious ways of the bowling ball back when we lived in Oregon (during college). He taught him all these techniques and gave him pointers on how to bowl the right way. Where was I you ask? I was there, but I was too busy talking with my Mom and Aunt Karen! Yes I enjoyed the talking, but man - I wish I had taken more of an interest in all of those bowling lessons! Especially now when I hear that my Dad is in a bowling league playing in tournaments and getting scores like 256!! He's bowling in some league with my Grandpa Yingling...and yes my Grandpa bowls good too! Rrrrr... Why didn't I inherit the pro-bowler gene?! Dang blast it!! ;)

Onto less upsetting things... We took Kristin to "Halleluiah Night" at our church on October 31st. Or as Kristin calls it "Hallelula." She and Katie both went as Tinker Bell. They were so cute! Kristin loved her costume, but Katie didn't seem to appreciate the rough material scratching her oh-so delicate baby skin. Poor kid. I paid $20 for that dang thing, so I made her wear it anyways! I'm such a mean mommy! ;) First we bought some tickets to use for the food and games. Then we waited in the horrendously long line for the Candy Walk. Of course Kristin loved going from trunk to trunk getting candy from people. Each candy-giver dumps a handful of candy into each kid's bag and each car is only a few feet apart from one another, so the kids don't have to work very hard to get their candy. It's the lazy Christian alternative to trick-or-treating! It's great! ;) Next, Kristin went to the bouncy house obstacle course (her next favorite thing to do). Then we took a break to go get some food (hot dogs, sausage-on-a-stick, Frito pie and soda) while we listened to a Christian rock band playing close by. Kristin jumped in one more bouncy house and then she used the rest of our tickets to do the duck-catching game and then we headed home with her bag full of goodies. It was a fun night. The only thing Jason and I are going to do differently next year - is dress up ourselves!! I was thinking that only kids would be dressed up, but there were a lot of adults dressed up too! I'm disappointed for not having thought of it before! Oh well - I guess I have something to look forward to for next year's Halleluiah Night...picking out more costumes!! Woohoo!! :)

















Hmmm...what else? Yeah, so we didn't do anything big this weekend either. I ordered an Insider's Guide to San Antonio book from Amazon last week and I'm just waiting for it to come in, so we can start using it to help plan our weekends better. So this weekend, we're just doing the usual. Going to Costco to walk around and look at things we can't buy while we eat their yummy samples (who can resist those things?), going to Starbucks, going to Barnes and Noble, going out to lunch and going to Sea World for a couple hours.

Speaking of Starbucks - here is a picture of Jason after we went through the drive through at Starbucks today. He was quite pleased with the compliment he had just received from the guy who was working the drive through window.



What was the compliment you ask? Well, when Jason reached out for our order, the guy said, "Man, you've got big arms! What do you do to get them that big? Do you lift weights? Do you work in construction?" Jason (who's obviously embarrassed and slightly uncomfortable) sheepishly answers, "No, I'm a doctor. It's just a little hobby of mine." As we drove away, I think Jason's head grew 10x bigger before my very eyes! When I brought that to his attention, he grinned with his embarrassed crooked-mouthed smile and said, "I don't know what you're talking about Tricia." Of course he says this while flexing his bulging bicep. He was clearly happy to hear that his hard work at the gym hasn't gone un-noticed. That's my bighead boy!! ;) Sometimes when I think of Jason, I'm reminded of Gaston from Disney's Beauty and the Beast (you know - that big brute of a man)... I'm not sure why though... ;)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Before even reading the text, Steve saw that picture of Jason and yelled, "Look at his arms! They're huge! They're monstrosities!"
Also, your Tinks are adorable, and YOU! Lookin' hot, mama! I like the longer bangs look.

Laura said...

Uhh!! Someone posted before me!! Man!

I wish we could be there to do wine tasting stuff with you, I love wine tasting!! It is so much fun! And even more fun with friends.

You just need to take bowling lessons from me, love ;) Try calling your sister and bowling at the same time, it worked for me!

See, more pointers from me...you always dress up on Halloween! Who cares if nobody else does, it's way fun!

Love ya!

Laura said...

Oh yes, I would also like to laugh at weekends, hahaha! Weekends? What are those?

And the girls looked so pinchy cute, when are you moving by meeee?

Mmmm, Starbucks Pumpkin Latte!

Hahaha! Gaston, I love it! Does he still work out EVERY day?

Tricia said...

Hmmm...should I tell Jason that Steve commented on his bulging monstrocities or should I not tell him... His head has gotten just a tad too big for my liking, but I'll go ahead and tell him just this once. ;)
Thanks Mar - I'm not sure about these bangs though... this is the first time in all of my 29 years that I've ever attempted a non-bang look, so it's a little intimidating (my forehead has lived a very sheltered existence)... But it has taken forever to get them this long, so there's no going back now!! :)

Unknown said...

Oh, your bangs look so good like this, though! It's a much softer look--very flattering to your features, methinks.

Tricia said...

I wish you were here too Laura! I'll have to try the calling-my-sister thing next time I bowl. Or maybe I'll just take her along with me when she comes to visit me for the day (a week from now) - maybe that'll help. ;)
We're definitely dressing up next year - I think it'll make it a lot more fun for everyone!
I don't know why I was under the impression that Pediatrics wouldn't be so stinky! Poor Laura! Stupid work! :(
Mmmm...Pumpkin Spice Latte. I just had one last week. I still prefer Tazo Chai Lattes to everything else, but I still try to test out new things.
Are you joking Laura??!! Of course Gaston...I mean Jason still goes to the gym everyday! He has for the last 7 years! Now that I finally exercise consistently, I don't feel as guilty about him going (and me not going).
Oh contraire my dear - the question is, when are you moving by me? Heath finishes his residency a year before Jason remember??? :)

Tricia said...

Aw that was so sweet - thanks Marigold... :) Haha...methinks.