Saturday, November 17, 2007

Residents vs Staff Soccer Game and Jenny's Visit

Last Monday morning Jason had an Anesthesiology Residents vs Staff Soccer game. Jason was of course the captain of the Resident team. It's no surprise that Jason was also the star player. If he wasn't, he wouldn't be the center of attention - and we can't have that...now can we? ;) Has anyone noticed a recurring theme? Jason and attention. They go hand in hand. I can never seem to mention Jason's name without the word "attention" being in the same sentence. Hmmm... Does that seem peculiar to anyone else? ;)



So anyways, everyone met up at a church soccer field to battle it out. Resident doctors against staff doctors. Some might think the residents have an unfair advantage - they're younger and probably in better shape. But that wasn't the case. Most of the residents had no previous soccer experience and a lot of the staff appeared to have some noticeable skills.







It wasn't long before the residents noticed that Jason was their most valuable player. He was all over the place! Much to Jason's delight (I'm sure), everyone kept trying to get the ball to him, so he could make all the goals. I kept hearing his teammates shout, "Get it to Capra! Get it to Capra!" He scored 2 goals in the first half and one in the second. He had plenty of opportunities to score more goals, but he didn't want to hog the ball. I'm sure he wanted to hog the ball (this is Jason we're talking about), but he didn't want other people to view him as a ball hog - so he tried passing the ball to his teammates, so they could make some goals.

Midway through the game, Jason and the captain of the staff team were going after the ball and Jason heard the other guy tear a ligament in his knee when he kicked the ball the wrong way. Jason said it sounded horrible. He almost wanted to stop playing it sounded so bad. The poor guy tried to play it off like it wasn't so bad, but he was hurt. He was laying on the ground and everyone huddled around him. One of the staff doctors yelled out, "Is anyone a doctor?!" Hahaha (a little nerdy doctor humor there)... After checking out his knee, the captain limped off the field. His wife jumped in and took his place and the game continued.





After a couple hours, the game was over. Jason's team won 5-2. I was so mad though! I had the camera ready almost the entire time - just waiting to get some pics of Jason scoring his goals. Of course - the pictures came out blurry for 2 of his 3 goals and then I didn't have a chance to zoom in for his 3rd goal, so the picture looks all small and unfocused. Rrrr... Crusty camera! My lack of photography skills might have had a little something to do with my crummy pictures, but it makes me feel better when I blame the camera!





After that we headed back home, so I could finish cleaning up the house for company. My sister, Jenny, and her husband drove down from his parents' house in Dallas to visit for one day before moving up to Washington State. It was a really short visit. Too short! I hadn't seen my sister for over 2 years, so one day wasn't really enough to make up for all the lost time. But it was still fun! We really didn't have a lot of time to do anything too exciting. The day might have been a little more exciting had Jason been home and not on call at the hospital during their entire visit. Let's be honest - everyone knows that Jason is the life of the party! ;) They arrived Monday night at 8pm. We watched Spiderman 3 while we ate dinner. We talked, we cackled and then we went to bed. The next day, my sister took me by force to a piercing place and made me get my nose pierced (against my will of course)! ;) Well okay - I had been thinking about getting one for the last few months, but I just hadn't gotten up the nerve to do it. I picked out the tiniest earring I could find - because I don't want to look like a complete hooligan (just a slightly prissy one). ;) I wasn't supposed to get my nose pierced until December though. Jason's sister Rachel and I were supposed to go and get it done together, but like I said - my sister forced me to go while she was here! I'm sorry Rachel!! I'll still take you if you want to do it! I'm pretty sure though, that if Rachel and I had walked into this place by ourselves - we most definitely would have turned around and high-tailed it out of there! It seemed like a thoroughly clean and sanitized place to go (and I read some really good reviews), but I didn't care for the yucky satanic-sounding music or all of the extremely crazy piercings on all of the people who worked there. Ew! I was also scared. The last piercing I had done was back when Jason and I were engaged - 11 years ago! I'm not one to willingly volunteer for any painful procedures! Eek! I'm still not sure if I like it enough to keep it though. We'll see.

Kristin reading her book to Aunt Jenny


Jenny and Richard


Jenny and Richard w/ Katie and Kristin


Me and Jenny


After that we went out to one of my favorite restaurants, Demo's (a yummy Greek restaurant) and then for a quick stop at the BX. We hurried home with only enough time for Jenny and I to take a few pictures and then they had to leave at 8pm that night. Hopefully we won't wait another 2 years before we visit each other again - and I'm hoping it'll be for more than just one day!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Haha, doctor humor. We always say stuff like that. Even our neighbors think it's funny. At the party tonight, someone kept asking if there were peanut allergies, and everyone was like, who cares there are 5 doctors here. Haha, you know what they would tell you? Go to the ER! Anyways...

Hey, we know Matt...Ok, I will email you the rest of my comments, I don't want to start my own blog in your comment section =)

Tricia said...

Go to the ER! Hahahaha!! It's funny because it's true! :)
Oh yeah - how did your party go? I trust you took a lot of pictures for me - right? ;) Yay! You know I always love getting emails!! Woohoo!!