Thursday, February 7, 2008

A visit from the Rao's and other news...

I can't seem to post to this thing more than twice a month! What the heck?! I know that comes as a huge disappointment to most of you who thrive on reading about our adventures - and for that, I apologize. ;)

So a lot has happened since I last wrote. First, Luigi (Jason's best friend from medical school), his wife Stephanie and their two little cuties - Anastasia and Bernadette came to San Antonio to attend some friends' kids' confirmations at church (2 weeks ago). I realize their sole purpose of coming out to San Antonio wasn't to see us, but it was so nice to have them here to visit! We had them stay with us for the weekend - it was great! They were our first non-family visitors since we've been here! Come to think of it - they're also the first non-family people we've even had over for dinner (and we've been here for a year and seven months)! Man - we're a bunch of hermits!

Aw...how cute! Kristin's first sleepover with a friend!


Katie doesn't like to be left out, so I thought I'd include her in my middle-of-the night picture-taking session...


Anyways, sometime after the confirmation ended the following evening, we met up with them at our favorite Mexican restuarant - Mamacitas! We decided to take a few pictures - since Mamacitas is an adventure in and of itself! ;)

He's back!!


Hey! How did that little blonde girl get in there! :)


Jason, me, Kristin, Katie...and the cute little Chinese baby we adopted (for the night anyways)!


We thought a picture in front of the Banos Publicos would capture the essence of the evening... (that's "Public Bathroom" for those of you non-Spanish speaking folks out there) ;)


The next morning we went to Sunday mass with them. We were the only ones who didn't know what was going on, but we had Luigi there trying to guide us through it. :)

After mass


Afterwards we went over to their friends' house for a Belgium waffle breakfast. Mmmm...yummy! Jason felt right at home (since their friends have 8 kids). Of course, Jason naturally migrates towards kids (since he grew up with a house full of kids) - and in a few short minutes, he was playing some outdoor game with all of the kiddie-poos. I'm still surprised that he chose Anesthesiology over Pediatrics (like he had originally planned on choosing). I wonder how old he'll be when he starts choosing adult conversation over acting like a little kid. That might never happen though - my Dad is the same way and he's 50! :)

Jason doing what he does best...playing!


I think Kristin lost the game...poor kid. She didn't seem to mind though.


We left Luigi's friends' house not too long afterwards, so we wouldn't feel like we were imposing. We went home to kill the time until Luigi and Stephanie came back that night. I tried to take a picture of Katie's little teeth that are coming in, but the pictures kept coming out blurry! Stupid camera! I hate you!

Katie showing off her pearly white stubs (two on bottom, one on top)


Kristin missed Luigi, Stephanie and the girls while they were at their friends' house, so she wrote them a little message all on her own! If you zoom in on the middle of her picture, you'll notice she wrote, "I Lv U" She sounded it and spelled it liked it sounded (to her anyways). Isn't she so cute??!!

Kristin and her I love you message


The next day, we went to the playground to play together for a little while before we ate dinner.

Swing time!


Katie kept giggling and giggling! She couldn't get enough!


Jason and Luigi wearing their sister school t-shirts


Kristin and Anastasia in a slide race


Me and the girls


Speaking of dinner, Luigi and Stephanie made us dinner - which made me feel like a horrible hostess! But it was goo-ood! Luigi put some steaks and hotdogs on the grill and Stephanie made some sweet potatoes and salad. I picked up some california rolls for an appetizer - now that I finally had someone to eat them with (since Jason won't touch them)! They headed out shortly after dinner. I was sad to see them go - it was so nice to have company!

About a week ago - Kristin and I went to our trial ballet classes! Kristin LOVED it - of course! She looked so cute! I'll post a couple pics of her once her uniform comes in. I went to my trial class a couple days after her and it was a good workout...and humiliating! It's a beginner's class, but the people in this class have been coming for quite some time! I wish they offered different levels of teen/adult classes! The instructor assumed I had had some ballet in the past - because she kept speaking to me in ballet language! I had no idea what the heck she was talking about! She's from Portugal or Spain, so she already has a strong accent - but then it's even harder to understand her because she speaks really fast and uses all of the ballet terminology that I haven't a clue about! I did the best I could and tried to pretend like I knew what I was doing (by looking down my nose and sneaking peeks at the other dancers' moves)! I ran out first thing the next morning and bought a ballet book, so I could figure out all of the different positions, so I didn't have to feel so lost and pathetic! I considered backing out of it, but I know I won't do it on my own at home - so I'm just going to suck it up and try and catch up with the rest of the class! Although I don't see that happening overnight! It was very obvious that the other students have had ballet in the past. Dang blast it! I feel like I have plenty of motivation to learn the moves, so I don't feel like a complete idiot!!

What else...let's see... Oh yes! How could I forget?! We just signed the paperwork and got the keys to our next base house this morning! I'm so excited! The housing office felt so bad about making us move (so soon after moving into this house) - that they gave us the option of taking a slightly nicer house. Sure - to the untrained eye, it almost looks the same as the house we're in right now, but it's not! They gave us a field grade officer house (Jason is a company grade officer, but will become field grade 2 years from now when he puts on Major). It looks pretty much the same, but the kitchen and living room is bigger! Hooray! Every little bit of square footage helps! :)

And the most amazing thing happened today... Jason (the boy who LOATHES manual labor) called me this morning from work to ask me to go to Home Depot and buy paint and supplies...so he could paint the new house when he got home from work!!! He even told me to pick up a can of pink paint, so he could paint Kristin's room too! I was completely shocked! I kept asking him, "Are you sure?" This was not like Jason. I don't know what has gotten into him! He came home and went right to work! Three hours later - the living room, dining room and Kristin's room were finished!! I have no idea why it took me a total of 9 hours to paint only the living room and dining room (in this house and the one before it). What - does he think he's better than me?! ;) I am SO upset with myself for not getting a picture of him and Kristin painting her room pink! They were so cute! I even had my dumb camera in my purse while they were there painting! What a bonehead!

We've also decided to move ourselves (since the governement will pay us to do it ourselves). A little extra cash never hurt anybody right? Ugh. I hate moving! I have to go pick up the truck tomorrow and we have to take it to a weigh station to weigh it empty, put everything we own into it and then take it back to the weigh station to weigh it full. The government will give us so many dollars per 100 pounds. It better be worth the hard work and sweat!!

Okay - that's all for now. I'm exhausted and I'm going to bed. We have a long day of manual labor ahead of us. Yay. Does anyone want to come help us? Huh huh huh? You know you want to!!!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Aww, I am glad (and a little jealous) you decided to stick with the ballet class. It will be fun! Also, slightly better house!! Very exciting! I can't believe Jason painted it! That is awesome! Hope your move went well today, I remember how much hard work that is! Love you!